"....... The field of ultrasound in obstetrics and gynecology continues to expand rapidly, with new modalities emerging and developing within a relatively short space of time. With the aim of acting as an umbrella under which such modalities can effectively be evaluated and encouraged to grow, ISUOG has introduced the concept of sub-speciality groups for focused activity within the Society: `ISUOG Focus Groups'. One area of focused interest in recent years has been the clinical application of three-dimensional ultrasound within our speciality. In 1999 the ISUOG Executive Board decided that a group of experts should be built within the ISUOG to assess the developments in this area and we are now pleased to introduce to you the new ISUOG 3D Focus group. The group will be chaired by Eberhard Merz, with Davor Jurkovic acting as secretary.
The ISUOG 3D Focus group was first established during the 9th World Congress of Ultrasound in Buenos Aires, and includes the following 10 founding members in alphabetic order: Kazunori Baba (Japan), Harm-Gerd Blaas (Norway), Bernard Benoit (France), Fong-Ming Chang (Taiwan), Davor Jurkovic (Great Britain), Alfred Kratochwil (Austria), Andreas Lee(Austria), Thomas Nelson (USA), Eberhard Merz (Germany) and Dolores Pretorius (USA).
These members from several countries are recognized authorities specialising in the use of 3D technology. The group will meet to discuss the latest developments in 3D and to contribute siginificantly to further development of 3D ultrasound.
The aims and projects of the ISUOG 3D focus group are briefly summarized as follows:
* To establish an international forum for the exchange of scientific information in the field of 3D ultrasound within ISUOG.
* To evaluate the role of 3D ultrasound in comparison with 2-D ultrasound.
* To establish recommendations and guidelines on the use of 3D ultrasound in the fields of obstetrics and gynecology.
* To recommend, in conjunction with the ISUOG Education committee, an appropriate format and structure for educational courses on three-dimensional ultrasound in obstetrics and gynecology.
* To co-ordinate and advise on sessions dedicated to three- dimensional ultrasound at the annual ISUOG meetings in liaison with the ISUOG Scientific Committee and local organising committees.
For the 10th World Congress on Ultrasound in Obstertics and Gynecology in Zagreb (October 4-7, 2000), the 3D focus group has organized its first official 3D meeting to highlight the latest developments in 3D ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology. This event will take place on October 3, 2000 ........"
Excerpted from Issue 10 of the ISUOG Newsletter appearing in August 2000.
Back to History of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology.